One of the key pieces of the South Campus Gateway revitalization plan will come online Friday with the official opening of Eddie George’s Grille 27 at 1636 N. High St.
A view of the bar
This new restaurant, located at the corner of High and Chittendon, is billed as a “food-first focused, sports theme restaurant.”
George, Ohio State’s 1995 Heisman Trophy-winning running back, is bringing this special restaurant to Columbus after he and his development partners had success with the Eddie George Sports Grille in downtown Nashville, where George had a successful NFL career with the Tennessee Titans.
“I am extremely excited about this,” George said. “I can recall walking up and down the sidewalks here on High Street, thinking about all the possibilities life was going to bring me. I know at the time, I was concerned about what projects I had to get done for class and what meal I was going to eat at night.
A beaming Eddie George inside his Grille 27
“It’s amazing how things come full circle. I am doing an establishment here based off making a mark in my playing career here. I want to immerse myself and make a mark in the business community.”
George and his partners, Howard Shiller and Bob McCarthy, are aiming for a casually stylish restaurant that delivers a quality food, beverage and entertainment experience for all members of the OSU community.
The $2 million restaurant seats 200 in its dining area and bar and has 41 flat-screen TVs, some in individual booths. It occupies 6,347 square feet.
The bar is set at a 27-degree angle from High Street. The drink menu will feature 27 draft beers, 27 wines and 27 specialty drinks. And the menu offers a 27-ounce porterhouse steak.
“It has some subtleties to it, some unique things,” George said. “The bar is in the shape of a football and it sits 27 degrees off of the street. You can see a television from any corner in the place. You are always going to be entertained – even in the bathroom. There is a two-way mirror so you can see out, but they can’t see in and you never miss a play.
“In the urinals, there are Michigan footballs so you can literally go to the bathroom on Michigan. There are little fun things like that that show my personaltity. It’s a sleek design overall. I think it represents me. It’s the elegant element, but it’s also fun.”
George and his partners hosted invitation-only events scheduled for Wednesday and Thursday and have been open for limited hours each day.
The state-of-the-art audio/visual presentation of high-definition televisions and sound are provided by Island Systems and Design. This company provides A/V presentations for some of the finest casinos as well as ESPN Zone restaurants, Fox Sports Grilles, Darden Restaurants and many others.
The menu includes:
* Appetizers such as Pacific Rim tuna wrap, calamari frito misto, Asian firecracker popcorn shrimp, as well as chicken wings and nachos.
* Entrees including Eddie’s 27-ounce steak, Angus burgers, barbecued ribs, ahi tuna, homemade meatloaf, chipotle barbecued salmon, crispy pork loin, Mediterranean chicken pasta and the ultimate mac and cheese.
Eddie with his son on his shoulder
* Tremendous salads and sandwiches from fresh Asian chicken salad, a fried-cheddar and meatloaf hoagie, marinated skirt steak salad, Thai tuna salad, pesto marinated tofu salad, blackened bologna sandwich, chicken Casesar club, chipotle barbecued pork sandwich and turkey burger.
* Desserts will include hot deep-dish apple pie, coffee caramel-crunch pie, carrot cake and chocolate chocolate cake.
* The bar area features 27 different martinis, 27 different vodkas, scotches, etc.
For more information on Eddie George’s Grille 27, call (614) 421-2727.
Click the link below for more photos of Eddie George’s Grille 27:
Eddie George’s Grille 27 photo gallery
Check out the Spring edition of Bucknuts The Magazine, due out in mid-April, for more details on Eddie George's Grille 27 as well as what George is doing now after football.