When news of Andy Geiger's retirement broke Wednesday, speculation began about who might replace him.
For many, the obvious choice would be Archie Griffin, a former associate athletic director now the head of the OSU alumni association.
But Griffin told Bucknuts.com, "No, I'm not interested. I'm happy doing what I'm doing, serving the alumni of Ohio State."
Other choices could be:
* Paul Krebs -- Krebs is also a former OSU associate AD, now serving as the athletic director at Bowling Green.
* Jim Smith -- Smith is also a former OSU associate AD, now serving as the head of marketing for the NFL's Atlanta Falcons.
* Jim Tressel -- OSU's head football coach served in the dual role of head coach and AD at Youngstown State. But the demands of doing both of those jobs at Ohio State could be too much.
* Jeremy Foley -- Florida's athletic director has some Ohio ties.
* Joe Castiglione -- Oklahoma's athletic director has Ohio ties.
* Rex Kern -- Hero as the quarterback of OSU's 1968 national championship football team, Kern has been a successful businessman in the private sector. He was mentioned for the job when Geiger was hired in 1994.
It is also likely that OSU President Karen Holbrook has one or more names from her previous college experience that she will inquire about for interviews.