Hobart (1-0) was led by running back Noah Smith, who rushed for 188 yards and two scores. The Brickies finished with 415 yards of total offense, which was enough to outlast West Side. Cougars QB Ramone Atkins threw five touchdown passes, two to Johnson and three to Johnson's cousin, Jon Vea Johnson, who had 105 yards receiving to go with his trio of TDs.
West Side (0-1) next plays Friday in its home opener against Chicago Lindblom (0-0).
• Terry McLaurin, WR, Indianapolis Cathedral – McLaurin touched the ball seven times for 76 yards as Cathedral opened the season with a 26-20 loss to Indianapolis Ben Davis at Lucas Oil Stadium as part of the Horseshoe Classic.
McLaurin rushed four times for 30 yards and caught three passes for 46 more. He and the Fighting Irish were overshadowed, however, by Ben Davis sophomore running back Chris Evans. Evans scored three touchdowns – the last coming on a 9-yard run with 55 seconds remaining – to pace the Giants. He finished with 145 all-purpose yards.
Cathedral returns to the field Friday for a game at Indianapolis Warren Central (0-1).
• Sean Nuernberger, K, Buckner (Ky.) Oldham County – Oldham County cruised to a 33-0 victory at Louisville Iroquios.
Nuernberger fared well in the easy victory, making a 46-yard field goal and making all three of his point-after attempts. He also booted six touchbacks in kickoff duty. The Colonels (1-0) open their home schedule Friday vs. Goshen (Ky.) North Oldham.
Yet to open their seasons:
• Kyle Berger, OLB, Cleveland St. Ignatius – Saturday vs. Bloomfield Hills (Mich.) Brother Rice.
• Dante Booker, OLB, and Parris Campbell, RB, Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary – Thursday vs. Akron Garfield.
• Stephen Collier, QB, Leesburg (Ga.) Lee County – Friday vs. Albany.
• Jalyn Holmes, DE, Norfolk (Va.) Lake Taylor – Sept. 6 vs. Chesapeake (Va.) Oscar Smith.
• Malik Hooker, WR, New Castle, Pa. – Friday at Monaca Central Valley.
• Sam Hubbard, OLB, Cincinnati Moeller – Friday vs. Indianapolis Pike.
• Jamarco Jones, OT, Chicago De La Salle – Sunday at Chicago Phillips.
• Marcelys Jones, OG, Cleveland Glenville – Saturday at Lakewood St. Edward.
• Demetrius Knox, OG, Fort Worth (Texas) All Saints' Episcopal – Friday at Brownwood.
• Curtis Samuel, WR, Brooklyn (N.Y.) Erasmus Hall – Sept. 7 vs. Staten Island Tottenville.
• Dylan Thompson, DE, Lombard (Ill.) Montini Catholic – Friday vs. Park Ridge Maine South
• Kyle Trout, OT, Lancaster, Ohio – Friday vs. Logan.
• Damon Webb, CB, Detroit Cass Tech – Friday at Southfield.