UPDATE at 9:30 p.m.: Per a statement from head coach Urban Meyer, “Carlos Hyde will be suspended for at least the first three games of the 2013 season for conduct not representative of this football program or this university. He will be required to fulfill additional obligations before he is allowed to play in a game.”
Ohio State running back Carlos Hyde will not be charged with assault because the alleged victim has opted not to press charges, Columbus police spokesperson Sgt. Rich Weiner confirmed with BSB Tuesday afternoon.
Hyde was once a person of interest in an incident that occurred in the early morning hours of July 20 at Sugar Bar 2 – located at 303 S. Front St. – but the police will no longer investigate him.
“The case is closed. Investigators met with the victim on Saturday and during that interview she informed the investigators she didn’t want to pursue charges,” Weiner told BSB.
“We were in the middle of our investigation, and the most important part we needed was an interview with her. At that time, during that interview, that’s when she informed us that she didn’t want to pursue charges so we stopped the investigation. There is no victim at this point in the game."
Weiner said that both Hyde and the alleged victim have two years from the incident date to formally press charges if either party changes their mind. However, once the alleged victim opted not to press charges, the case was officially closed.
"One thing we had to do is interview the victim," he said. "Based upon her statements, we’d go out and interview additional witnesses and interview the accused. At this time, we were not able to do that because as soon as she said she didn’t want to pursue it, we stopped the investigation. It is officially closed.”
Though the police will not formally charge Hyde, his status with the team is still unclear.
OSU head coach Urban Meyer suspended the junior running back indefinitely when details surrounding the incident surfaced, and he said last week that he’d wait for the investigation to conclude before making any decisions.
Weiner indicated that there's a surveillance video of the incident and he expects that it will be released this afternoon.
"We're going to let the tape speak for itself," he said.
“Because of all the reports that were going on before this – I actually spoke up about the reckless reporting throughout the media – the only thing I am going to say is that the tape will speak for itself. Everyone will have the opportunity to form their opinion as to who was right and who was wrong.”
UPDATE (1:42 p.m.): The Columbus NBC affiliate has released a statement from the alleged victim.
"Keeping in mind what is for me and my family I have decided to refrain from filing charges at this time.
"Some of the media has rushed to judgment regarding the incident to ensure they are the first to report the information, whether it be factual or false. This has been overwhelming, frustrating and disappointing. It is unimaginable to be exposed to these false reports, claims and rumors and for anticipated 4 months expected to bring this incident to a conclusion.
"I would like to thank the Columbus Police department for their patience and professionalism they showed conducting their investigation. They have advised me I have up to two years to consider criminal charges.
"I believe the video, if released, will speak for itself when shown in its entirety and not edited or censored.